Saturday, July 23, 2016

Real Violence vs. "Real" Violence

I don't think a film has let me down like Hi, Mom! has since A Clockwork Orange? I might be exaggerating, but there are striking similarities: both are ostensible satires/dark comedies that I found to be largely (Hi, Mom!) or fully unfunny (A Clockwork Orange). While A Clockwork Orange and its entire worldview just turns me completely off, Hi, Mom!  is unpleasant in a different way. Towards the end of the justly but worryingly lauded "Be Black, Baby" sequence, the audience actors seem to be genuinely in pain. For me personally, violence that actually happens while portrayed on screen doesn't really bother me at all (e.g. the buffalo in Apocalypse Now or someone being slapped on-screen); I guess I feel at a remove, as it feels mostly undistinguishable from the fake gore. But the audience seems fundamentally unwilling to participate; I was first annoyed, and then incredibly unnerved as the audience was actually beaten and made to fear for their lives. It is true that it is a vital part of the black experience, but it is also not; no one is thrown into it; they live and grow up in it, and it feels as if the revolutionary actors misunderstand this. It scared me to see that violence; it felt real.

No comments:

Post a Comment